Monday, November 16, 2015

Easy Peasy Marinara Sauce

This simple recipe is vegan, gluten free, sugar free, and all other good things that people think is healthy! You could even make it salt free, but that would probably compromise the taste. But you do you, boo!

so let's get to:

Cooking {without} Class


Anything that requires marinara can use this REALLY EASY recipe. And, I think it's super good! 
You can also double the recipe and freeze some for a future recipe. 
Easy never looked so good and tasted so tasty

Me looking PIST that Jud was taking my picture while I cooked.
I'm gonna hit him with my big ole spoon. 
Ingredients:

1 28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
1 15 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes (This can vary, but I'll cover it, don't worry)
3 tsp Italian Seasoning (or 1 of each: Parsley, Basil, Oregano)
1 tsp of Salt (you don't have to add if you're trying to go for no sodium added)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder OR sauté 2-3 fresh cloves before adding the tomatoes
1/2 tsp Onion Powder  OR sauté 1/2 fresh onion, minced
A couple of pinches of Red Pepper Flakes depending on your spicy level

This cannot get any easier for a homemade, healthy marinara! 

1. If you want to do it the "Hard Way", mince your onion and garlic. Sauté. 
  • I sautéed garlic here. No onion. 
2. Add the tomatoes and spices. Stir together. 
  • Let's talk tomatoes: I didn't have crushed or diced tomatoes when I first made this. I did have whole peeled tomatoes and tomato sauce. I "crushed" my whole tomatoes with a spoon in the can and used the tomato sauce. It was perfect. Diced tomatoes would make it chunkier if you're into that.
  • The next time I made it, I doubled my recipe to freeze some for later, "crushed" my whole tomatoes with an immersion/wand blender and used the tomato sauce. It was a little watery because of the doubled sauce, so I added a small can of tomato paste. Then it was perfect. 
3. Cook until boiling, then lower the heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour. 
4. Add to whatever you're cooking! 
Bonus picture of my KITTY CAT HOT HAND THINGY
with meatballs in the background. yum. 




No comments:

Post a Comment